Archive > Year 2020, Number 1
Association of improvements in squat jump with improvements in countermovement jump without and with arm swing
Kukić Filip, Police Sports Education Center, Abu Dhabi Police.
This study investigated the effects of an eight-week pre-season on-court volleyball along with strength and conditioning program on performance in squat jump (SJ) and countermovement jump without (CMJ) and with arm swing (CMJa); and whether the improvements in SJ contributed to improvements in CMJ and CMJa. Thirteen competitive female volleyball players completed an eight-week pre-season training program and their SJ, CMJ, and CMJa were assessed at the beginning and at the end of this period. Paired sample’s t-test calculated the differences between two tests, while regression analysis investigated if an improvement or reduction in SJ was associated to improvements or reductions attained in CMJ and CMJa. In general, applied training significantly improved (p<0.01) SJ (10.2%), CMJ (10.2%), and CMJa (6.9%), with an exception to a few cases. Changes in SJ were moderately associated with changes in CMJ (R2=0.536, p=0.005) and CMJa (R2=0.357, p=0.020). On-court volleyball training followed by a strength and conditioning program significantly improved jumping performance, whereby contractile strength characteristics explained moderate amounts of improvement in CMJ and CMJa, which are the most common jumps in volleyball games. Analyzing to what degree certain elements explain components of performance such as ability to jump vertically adds to the precision of planning and reduces the possibility of error.
Team sports, plyometrics, jumping performance, strength and conditioning, power
Download full article
- Lidor R, Ziv G. Physical and physiological attributes of female volleyball players: a review. J Strength Cond Res 2010;24(7):1963–73.
- Tramel W, Lockie RG, Lindsay KG, Dawes JJ. Associations between absolute and relative lower body strength to measures of power and change of direction speed in division II Female Volleyball players. Sports 2019;7(7):160.
- Trajković N, Milanović Z, Sporis G, Milić V, Stanković R. The effects of 6 weeks of preseason skill-based conditioning on physical performance in male volleyball players. J Strength Cond Res 2012;26(6):1475–80.
- Jaric S. Force-velocity relationship of muscles performing multi-joint maximum performance tasks. Int J Sports Med 2015;36(9):699–704.
- Pazin N, Berjan B, Nedeljkovic A, Markovic G, Jaric S. Power output in vertical jumps: does optimum loading depend on activity profiles? Eur J Appl Physiol 2013;113(3):577–89.
- Markovic S, Mirkov DM, Nedeljkovic A, Jaric S. Body size and countermovement depth confound relationship between muscle power output and jumping performance. Hum Movement Sci 2014;33:203-10.
- Kavanaugh AA, Mizuguchi S, Sands WA, Ramsey MW, Stone MH. Long-term changes in jump performance and maximum strength in a cohort of National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I women’s volleyball athletes. J Strength Cond Res 2018;32(1):66–75.
- Häkkinen K. Changes in physical fitness profile in female volleyball players during the competitive season. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1993;33(3):223–32.
- Marques MC, Tillaar R van den, Vescovi JD, González-Badillo JJ. Changes in strength and power performance in elite senior female professional volleyball players during the in-season: a case study. J Strength Cond Res 2008;22(4):1147–55.
- Peterson MD, Alvar BA, Rhea MR. The contribution of maximal force production to explosive movement among young collegiate athletes. J Strength Cond Res 2006;20(4):867–73.
- McGhie D, Østerås S, Ettema G, Paulsen G, Sandbakk Ø. Strength determinants of jump height in the jump throw movement in women Handball players. J Strength Cond Res 2018; doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000002684
- Van Hooren B, Zolotarjova J. The difference between countermovement and squat jump performances: A review of underlying mechanisms with practical applications. J Strength Cond Res 2017;31(7):2011–20.
- Dopsaj M, Markovic M, Kasum G, Jovanovic S, Koropanovski N, Vukovic M, Mudric M. Discrimination of different body structure indexes of elite athletes in combat sports measured by multi frequency bioimpedance method. Int J Morphol 2017;35(1):199–207.
- Zarić I, Dopsaj M, Marković M, Zarić M, Jakovljević S, Berić D. Body composition characteristics measured by multichannel bioimpedance in young female basketball players: Relation with match performance. Int J Morphol 2020;38(2):328-335.
- Williams JR. The declaration of Helsinki and public health. Bull World Health Organ. 2008;86(8):650–2.
- Hartmann H, Wirth K, Keiner M, Mickel C, Sander A, Szilvas E. Short-term periodization models: Effects on strength and speed-strength performance. Sports Med 2015;45(10):1373–86.
- Markovic G, Dizdar D, Jukic I, Cardinale M. Reliability and factorial validity of squat and countermovement jump tests. J Strength Cond Res 2004;18(3):551–5.
- Bosco C, Luhtanen P, Komi PV. A simple method for measurement of mechanical power in jumping. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1983;50(2):273–82.
- Markovic G, Jaric S. Movement performance and body size: the relationship for different groups of tests. Eur J Appl Physiol 2004;1–2(92):139–49.
- Sullivan GM, Feinn R. Using effect size-or why the P value is not enough. J Grad Med Educ 2012;4(3):279–82.
©2022 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.