kılıç özlem, Sports Academy
The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of 8 weeks’ plyometric training on active jump, squat jump and 30 m sprint in 13-15-year-old football players. The study consisted of 24 volunteer football players from Pamukkale Sport Club U-13 and U-15. Participants were assigned equally to either the control group (Age = 13.71 ± 0.53 years old, BH = 1.63 ± 0.06 m, BM = 53.07 ± 3.76 kg) or the training group (Age = 13.69 ± 0.55 years old, BH = 1.63 ± 0.08 m, BM = 55.00 ± 12.85 kg). Before the training program, all players’ anthropometric measurements were taken. All players performed active jump, squat jump and 30 m sprint test, and pre- and post-test results were recorded. The training group carried out a basic training program plus a set of plyometric exercises twice a week for 8 weeks. The control group carried out the basic training program only. Pre- and post-test results were analyzed using repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA) procedures. The result of the study reveals that there was significant difference at 0.05 levels. Based on findings of the research, it can be concluded that plyometric exercise increased active and squat jump (F = 32.64; p = 0.000 and F = 10.01; p = 0.005) but there was no significant effect on 30 m sprint performance (F = 2.34; p = 0.14). Also it can be concluded that plyometric training increased explosive and elastic power.
Plyometric training, football, jumping, adolescent
Download full article
- Adams, K., O’Shea, P., O’Shea K. L. & Climstein M. (1992). The effect of six weeks of squat, plyometric and squat-plyometric training on power production. Journal of Applied Sport Science Research 6, 1, 36-41.
- Arthur, M. & Bailey, B. (1998). Conditioning for football. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Asmussen, E. & Bonde-Petersen, F. (1974). Storage of elastic energy in skeletal muscles in man. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 91, 385-392.
- Blattner, S. E. & Noble, L. (1979). Relative effects of isokinetic and plyometric training on vertical training on vertical jumping performance. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 50 (4), 583-588.
- Brown, M. E., Mayhew, J. L. & Boleach, L. (1986). Effect of plyometric training on vertical jump performance in high school basketball players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 26(1), 1-4.
- Chu, D., Faigenbaum, A., & Falkel, J. (2006). Progressive plyometrics for kids. Monterey: Healthy Learning, CA.
- Diallo, O., Dore, E., Duche, P. & Van Praagh, E. (2001). Effects of plyometric training followed by a reduced training programme on physical performance in prepubescent soccer players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 41, 342-348.
- Faigenbaum, D. A., McFarland, E. J., Keiper, B. F., Tevlin, W., Ratamess, A. N., Kang, J. & Hoffman, R. J. (2007). Effects of a short-term plyometric and resistance training programme on fitness performance in boys age 12-15 years. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 6, 519-525.
- Faigenbaum, D. A., Milliken, L. A., Moulton, L. & Westcott, W. L. (2005). Early muscular fitness adaptations in children in response to two different resistance training regimens. Pediatric Exercise Science, 17, 237-248.
- Falk, B. & Tenenbaum, G. (1996). The effectiveness of resistance training in children. A meta-analysis. Sports Medicine, 22, 176-186.
- Fatouros, I., Jamurtas, Z., Leontsini, D., Taxildaris, K., Aggelousis, N., Kostopoulos, N. & Buckenmeyer P. (2000). Evaluation of plyometric exercises training, weight training and their combination on vertical jump performance and leg strength. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 14, 470-476.
- Komi, P. V. & Bosco, C. (1978). Utilization of stored elastic energy in leg extensor muscles by men and women. Medicine and Science in Sports, 10, 261-265.
- Kotzamanidis, C. (2006). Effect of plyometric training on running performance and vertical jumping in prepubertal boys. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 20 (2), 441-445.
- Makaruk, H. & Sacewicz, T. (2010). Effects of plyometric training on maximal power output and jumping ability. Human Movement, 11 (1), 17-22.
- Marginson, V., Rowlands, A., Gleeson, N. & Eston, R. (2005). Comparison of the symptoms of exercise-induced muscle damage after an initial and repeated bout of plyometric exercise in men and boys. Journal of Applied Physiology, 99, 1174-1181.
- Matavulj, D., Kukolj, M., Ugarkovic, J., Tihanyi, J. & Jaric, S. (2001). Effects of plyometric training on jumping performance in junior basketball players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 41,159-164.
- Miller, G. M., Herniman, J. J., Ricard, D. M., Cheatham, C. C., & Michael, J. T. (2006). The effects of a 6-week plyometric training program on agility. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 5, 459-465.
- Russell, M. & Tooley, E. (2011). Anthropometric and performance characteristics of young male soccer players competing in the UK. Serbian Journal of Sports Sciences, 5 (4), 155-162.
- Sale, D. & MacDougall, D. (1981). Specificity in strength training: A review for the coach and athlete. Canadian Journal of Applied Sports Science, 6, 87-92.
- Shaji, J. & Isha, S. (2009). Comparative analysis of plyometric training program and dynamic stretching on vertical jump and agility in male collegiate basketball player. Al Ameen Journal of Medicine Sciences, 2 (1), 36-46.
- Shalfawi, A. I. S., Tønnessen, E., Enoksen,E., & Ingebrigtsen, J. (2011). Assessing day-to-day reliability of the Newtest 2000 sprint timing system. Serbian Journal of Sports Sciences, 5 (3), 107-113.
- Soundara, R. J. & Pushparajan, A. (2010). Effects of plyometric training on the development the vertical jump in volleyball players. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 28, 3, 65-69.
- Spurrs, W. R., Murphy, J. A., & Watsford, L. W. (2003). The effect of plyometric training on distance running performance. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 89, 1–7.
- Tsolakis, C., Bogdanis, G. C., Nikolau, A. & Zacharogiannis, E. (2011). Influence of type of muscle contraction and gender on postactivation potentiation of upper and lower limb explosive performance in elite fencers. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 10 (3), 577-583.
- Turner, M. A., Owings, M., & Schwane, J. A. (2003). Improvement in running economy after 6 weeks of plyometric training. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 17 (1), 60–67.
©2023 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.