The purpose of this study was threefold: firstly, to evaluate the arm anthropometric profile of Indian inter-university basketball players; secondly, to search for the correlations among these arm anthropometric characteristics; and thirdly, to search for the association of handgrip with arm anthropometric characteristics in Indian inter-university basketball players. Three anthropometric characteristics, nine arm anthropometric characteristics, and grip strength of both right and left hand were measured on randomly selected 60 Indian inter-university basketball players (35 males and 25 females, aged 18–25 years) of six universities, who participated in the Inter-university Championship organized at Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, Punjab, India. An adequate number of control subjects were also taken from the same place for comparisons. The results indicated statistically significant (p ≤ 0.05 - 0.01) differences between the male basketball players and the controls in height, right handgrip strength, upper arm, forearm and total arm length, whereas no significant differences were found between the female basketball players and the controls. Highly significant (p ≤ 0.01) sex differences were found in the basketball players in almost all the variables studied (except BMI and arm fat area). Significant positive correlations were noted among the arm anthropometric characteristics studied (except arm fat area and arm fat index), and with right and left handgrip strength.
Arm anthropometric characteristics, handgrip strength, Indian inter-university basketball players
Download full article
- Ackland, T. R., Schreiner, A. B., & Kerr, D. A. (1997). Absolute size and proportionality characteristics of World Championship female basketball players. Journal of Sports Sciences, 15(5), 485-490.
- Ackland, T. R., Ong, K. B., Kerr, D. A., & Ridge, B. (2003). Morphological characteristics of Olympic sprint canoe and kayak paddlers. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 6, 285-294.
- Apostolidis, N., Nassis, G. P., Bolatoglou,T., & Geladas, N. D. (2004). Physiological and technical characteristics of elite young basketball players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 44(2), 157-163.
- Arrese, A. L., & Ostariz, E. S. (2006). Skinfold thickness associated with distance running performance in highly trained runners. Journal of Sports Sciences, 24, 69-76.
- Bale, P. (1991). Anthropometric, body composition and performance variables of young elite female basketball players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 31(2), 173-177.
- Bale, P., Bradbury, D., & Colley, E. (1986). Anthropometric and training variables related to 10 km running performance. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 20, 170-173.
- Blair, V. A. (2002). Hand function. In: Durward, B.R., Baer, G.D., Rowe, P. J. (Eds). Functional Human Movement. (p. 160-179), Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Barut, C., Demirel, P., & Kiran, S. (2008). Evaluation of hand anthropometric measurements and grip strength in basketball, volleyball and handball players. Anatomy: International Journal of Experimental and Clinical Anatomy, 2, 55-59.
- Bayios, I. A., Bergeles, N. K., Apostolidis, N. G., Noutsos, K. S., & Koskolou, M. D. (2006). Anthropometric, body composition and somatotype differences of Greek elite female basketball, volleyball and handball players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 46(2), 271-280.
- Bourgois, J., Albrecht, L., Claessens, J. V., Renaat, P., Renterghem, B. V., Thomis, M., Janssens, M., Loos, R., & Lefevre, J. (2000). Anthropometric characteristics of elite male junior rowers. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 34, 213-216.
- Cartet, J. E. L., Ackland, T. R, Kerr, D. A. & Stapff, A. B. (2005). Somatotype and size of elite female basketball players. Journal of Sports Sciences, 23(10), 1057-1063.
- Claessens, A. L., Lefevre, J., Beunen, G., & Malina, R. M. (1999). The contribution of anthropometric characteristics to performance scores in elite female gymnasts. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 39, 355-360.
- Crisafulli, A., Melis, F., Tocco, F., Laconi,P., Lai, C. & Concu, A. (2002). External mechanical work versus oxidative energy consumption ratio during basketball field test. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 42, 409-417.
- De, A. K., Dasgupta, P. K., Panda, B. K., & Bhattacharya, A. K. (1982). Physical efficiency tests on Indian male “Kabaddi” inter-university players. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 16 (1), 33-36.
- Foo, L. H. (2007). Influence of body composition, muscle strength, diet and physical activity on total body and forearm bone mass in Chinese adolescent girls. British Journal of Nutrition, 98, 1281-1287.
- Fujii, K., Yamada, Y. & Odd, S. (2010). Skilled basketball players rotate their shoulders more during running while dribbling. Perceptual Motor Skills, 110(3), 983-994.
- Gabbett, T. J. (2000). Physiological and anthropometric characteristics amateur rugby players. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 34, 303-307.
- Hagan, R. D., Upton, S. J., Duncan, J. J. & Gettman, L. R. (1987). Marathon performance in relation to maximal aerobic power and training indices in female distance runners. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 21, 3-7.
- Hoffman, J. R. & Maresh, C. M. (2000). Physiology of Basketball. In: Garrett, W. E. Jr., Kirkendall, D. T. (Eds.). Exercise and Sports Science. (pp. 733-744), Philadelphia, P. A.: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Koley, S., & Yadav, M. K. (2009). An association of hand grip strength with some anthropometric variables in Indian cricket players. FACTA UNIVERSITATIS, Series: Physical Education and Sports, 7(2), 113-123.
- Landers, G. J., Blanksby, B. A., Ackland, T. R. & Smith, D. (2000). Morphology and performance of world championship triathletes. Annals of Human Biology, 27, 387-400.
- Latin, R. W., Berg, K., & Baechle, T. (1994). Physical and performance characteristics of NCAA division I male basketball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 8(4), 214-218.
- Lohmann, T. G., Roche, A. F., & Martorell, R. (1988). Anthropometric standardization reference manual. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books.
- Lamonte, M. J., McKinney, J. T., Quinn, S. M., Bainbridge, C. N., & Eisenman, P. A. (1999). Comparison of physical and physiological variables for female college basketball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 13(3), 264-270.
- Legaz, A. & Eston, R. (2005). Changes in performances, skinfold thicknesses and fat patterning after three years of intense athletic conditioning in high level runners. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 39, 851-856.
- Maldonado, S., Mujika, I. & Padilla, S. (2002). Influence of body mass and height on the energy cost of running in highly trained middle and long distance runners. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 28, 268-272.
- McArdle, W. D., Katch, F. I., & Katch, V. L. (2001). Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance (5th Ed.), (p. 506-507), Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mikulic, P. (2008). Anthropometric and physiological profiles of rowers of varying ages and ranks. Kinesiology, 40(1), 80-88.
- Narazaki, K., Berg, K., Stergiou, N., & Chen, B. (2008). Physiological demands of competitive basketball. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 18(3), 261-269.
- Ostojic, S. M., Mazic, S., & Dikic, N. (2006). Profiling in basketball: physical and physiological characteristics of elite players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 20(4), 740-744.
- Reilly, T., Bangsbo, J., & Franks, A. (2000). Anthropometric and physiological predispositions for elite soccer. Journal of Sports Sciences, 18(9), 669-683.
- Sharwood, K., Collins, M. & Goedecke, J., Wilson, G. & Noakes, T. (2002). Weight changes, sodium levels, and performance in the South African Ironman triathlon. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 12, 391-399.
- Singh, M., Singh, K. M. & Singh K. (2010). Anthropometric measurements, body composition and physical parameters of Indian, Pakistani and Sri Lankan field hockey players. Serbian Journal of Sports Science, 4(1), 47-52.
- Slater, G. J., Rice, A. J., Mujika, I., Hahn, A. G., Sharp, K., & Jenkins, D. G. (2005). Physique traits of lightweight rowers and their relationship to competitive success. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 39, 736-741.
- Sodhi, H. S. (1980). Kinanthropometry and performance of top ranking Indian basketball players. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 14(2-3), 139-144.
- Tanaka, K. & Matsuura, Y. (1982). A multivariate analysis of the role of certain anthropometric and physiological attributes in distance running. Annals of Human Biology, 9, 473-482.
- Theoharopoulos, A., Laparidis, K. K., Galazoulas, C. & Tsitskaris, G. (2010). A comparative study relating pass between male and female basketball players. Journal of Physical Education and Sports, 26(1), 44-50.
- Toyoda, H. (1989). Factors in the sport talent: the case of the volleyball. Japanese Journal of Sports Science, 8, 204-206.
- Tsunawake, N., Tahara, Y., Moji, K., Muraki, S., Minowa, K. & Yukawa, K. (2003). Body composition and physical fitness of female volleyball and basketball players of the Japan inter-high school championship teams. Journal of Physical Anthropology and Applied Human Science, 22, 195-201.
- Viviani, F. (1994). The somatotype of medium class Italian basketball players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 34(1), 70- 75.
- Withers, R. T., Roberts, G. D., & Davies, G. J. (1977). The maximum aerobic power, anaerobic power and body composition of South Australian male representatives in athletes, basketball, field hockey and soccer. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 17(4), 391-400.
- Ziv, G. & Lidor, R. (2009). Physical attributes, physiological characteristics, on-court performances and nutritional strategies of female and male basketball players. Sports Medicine, 39(7), 547-568.
©2021 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.