The aim of this work was to define and analyze the current state of physical fitness in archery. Twenty-one young male and female recurve archers performed eight field tests in order to assess flexibility, upper muscular strength, abdominal muscular strength, Lateral Core endurance, Core endurance and Aerobic fitness. Significant differences occurred in all obtained variables within the observed total subsamples in both genders. Also, differences in relation to gender, training experience and current competitive level was established. Measure KMO showed high statistical significance of multivariate adequacy of the given variables at the level of 0.472, i.e. 47.2%, while χ2 test value was 76.926, at the level of p = 0.000. Factor analysis abstracted among the given variables four factors which cumulatively explained 90.046% of variance. The main findings showed that the Lateral Core endurance and upper muscular strength might be the most important physical fitness characteristics and fundamental for the successful performance in archery. Besides, based on the data obtained by the applied battery of tests, the results showed influence of general archer fitness on actually athletes' competitive level at the level of 76.3% of probability. The results of this study should serve in the function of informative indicators that will enrich the technological process of managing, monitoring, control improving, and optimizing physical fitness measurements in archery.
recurve archery, physical abilities, measurement, strength test, endurance test, flexibility test
Download full article
- Acikada C, Ertan H, Tinazci C. Shooting dynamics in archery. In: Ergen E, Hibner K, editors. Sports Medicine and Science in Archery. FITA Medical Committee; 2004; pp. 15-36.
- Ahmaidi S, Collomp K, Caillauce C, Prefaut C. Maximal and functional aerobic capacity as assessed by two graduated field methods in comparison to laboratory exercise testing in moderately trained subjects. Int J Sports Med, 1992; 13(3):243-248.
- Coaching Association of Canada and Archery Canada. Competition - Development Reference Manual. Canada, Ottawa: Coach Certification committee, 2014.
- Dopsaj M, Ivanović J, Blagojević M, Koropanovski N, Vučković G, Janković R, Marinković B, Atanasov D, Miljuš D. Basic and specific characteristics of the hand grip explosive force and time parameters in different strength trained population. Br J Biomotricity, 2009; 3(2):177-193.
- Dopsaj M, Ivanović J, Blagojević M, Vučković G. Descriptive, functional and sexual dimorphism of exsplosive isometric hand grip force in healthy university students in Serbia. FU Phys Ed Sport, 2009; 7(2):125-139.
- Dopsaj M, Ćopić N, Nesić, G, Sikimić, M. Jumping performance in elite female volleyball players relative to playing positions: A practical multidimensional assessment model. Serb J Sports Sci, 2012; 6(1–4):61-69.
- Hair J, Anderson R, Tatham R, Black W. Multivariate Data Analysis (5th ed.). New Jersey, USA: Prentice - Hall, Inc, 1998.
- Ivanović J, Koropanovski N, Vučković G, Janković R., Miljuš D, Marinković B, Atanasov D, Blagojević M, Dopsaj M. Functional dimorphism and characteristics considering maximal hand grip force in top-level athletes in the Republic of Serbia. Gazz Med Ital Arch Sci Med, 2009; 168(5):297-310
- Ivanović, J. Model characteristics of the explosive force indicators of leg extensors in top-level athletes. Belgrade: Grafik centar, 2014.
- Lau JS, Ghafar R, Hashim HA, Zulkifli EZ. Anthropometric and physical fitness components comparison between High- and Low-Performance archers. Ann Appl Sport Sci, 2020; 8(S2).
- McGill SM, Childs A, Liebenson C. Endurance times for low back stabilization exercises: Clinical targets for testing and training from a normal database. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 1999; 80(8):941-944.
- Mon RST, Hairul AH, Asmadi I, Zuleazwan AM, Fatin NMS. The Effects of aerobic endurance training and circuit training program on cardiovascular endurance among junior archers. Eur J Mol Clin Med, 2020; 7(2):4058-4068.
- Musa R, Abdullah M, Maliki AB, Kosni N, Haque M. The application of principal components analysis to recognize essential physical fitness components among youth development archers of Terengganu, Malaysia. Indian J Sci Technol, 2016; 9(1-6).
- Peterson D. Periodic fitness testing: Not just for athletes anymore. Strength Cond J, 2018; 40(5):60-76.
- Williams JR. The declaration of Helsinki and public health. Bull World Health Organ, 2008; 86(8):650-652.
©2023 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.