Archive > Year 2021, Number 2
Association of physical abilities and physiological characteristics with competitive efficacy of U16 female basketball players
Zarić Ivan, Faculty of Sport and Physical Educatioin Univerity of Belgrade.
This study investigated the association of physical abilities and physiological characteristics with competitive performance of female basketball players under 16 years of age (U16). The sample included 30 players from the three best basketball clubs in U16 league of Serbia (age = 14.98±0.68 years). Their maximal contractile force (Fmax) and rate of force development (RFDmax) of leg and back extensors and finger flexors were assessed via maximal isometric leg press, dead lift, and handgrip. Their maximal strength of leg muscles was assessed by vertical counter movement jump and Abalakov vertical jump, while anaerobic power of legs with Lactate and heart rate characteristics were assessed using the 30-s Wingate test. Competitive basketball performance was evaluated via competency index calculated from the official statistics for each player. The association were statistically tested using the multiple regression analysis. The results revealed significant predictive value (R2 = 0.462, p = 0.017) of physical and physiological profile of players in predicting competitive performance. Physical abilities and physiological characteristics of U16 female basketball players could be modeled and used as reference values for screening purposes in process of managing the training program of young players and for the checkpoints in development of players from young age to professional level.
basketball, game statistics, female athletes, laboratory testing
Download full article
- Delextrat A, Cohen D. Physiological testing of basketball players: Toward a standard evaluation of anaerobic fitness. J Strength Cond Res 2008; 22(4):1066-1072.
- Dopsaj M, Milosevic M, Blagojevic M. An analysis of the reliability and factorial validity of selected muscle force mechanical characteristics during isometric multi-joint test. 17th Symposium of Biomechanics in Sport, Hong kong, pp. 146-149, 2000.
- Fort-Vanmeerhaeghe A, Montalvo A, Latinjak A, Unnithan V. Physical characteristics of elite adolescent female basketball players and their relationship to match performance. J Hum Kinetics 2016; 53:167-178.
- Frederiksen H, Gaist D, Petersen HC, Hjelmborg J, McGue M, Vaupel JW, Christensen K. Hand grip strength: A phenotype suitable for identifying genetic variants affecting mid- and late-life physical functioning. Genet Epidemiol 2002; 23(2):110-122.
- Knezevic OM, Mirkov DM, Kadija M, Nedeljkovic A, Jaric S. Asymmetries in explosive strength following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Knee 2014; 21(6):1039-1045.
- Kukić F, Todorović N, Čvorović A, Johnson Q, Dawes JJ. Association of improvements in squat jump with improvements in countermovement jump without and with arm swing. Serb J Sports Sci 2020; 11(1):29-35.
- Markovic G, Dizdar D, Jukic I, Cardinale M. Reliability and factorial validity of squat and countermovement jump tests. J Strength Cond Res 2004; 18(3):551–555.
- McGill SM, Andersen JT, Horne AD. Predicting performance and injury resilience from movement quality and fitness scores in a basketball team over 2 years. J Strength Cond Res 2012; 26(7):1731–1739.
- Ostojic SM, Mazic S, Dikic N. Profiling in basketball: Physical and physiological characteristics of elite players. J Strength Cond Res 2006; 20(4):740-744.
- Pehar M, Sisic N, Sekulic D, Coh M, Uljevic O, Spasic M, Krolo A, Idrizovic K. Analyzing the relationship between anthropometric and motor indices with basketball specific pre-planned and non-planned agility performances. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2018; 58(7-8):1037-1044.
- Pizzigalli L, Micheletti Cremasco M, La Torre A, Rainoldi A, Benis R. Hand grip strength and anthropometric characteristics in Italian female national basketball teams. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2017; 57(5):521-528.
- Ranisavljev I, Mandic R, Cosic M, Blagojevic P, Dopsaj, M. NBA Pre-Draft Combine is the weak predictor of rookie basketball player’s performance. J Hum Sport Exerc 2021; 16(3):493-502.
- Visnapuu M, Jürimäe T. Handgrip strength and hand dimensions in young handball and basketball players. J Strength Cond Res 2007; 21(3):923-929.
- Williams JR. The declaration of Helsinki and public health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2008; 86(8):650–652.
- Zarić I, Dopsaj M, Marković M. Match performance in young female basketball players: Relationship with laboratory and field tests. Int J Perform Anal Sport 2018; 18(1):90-103.
- Zarić I, Dopsaj M, Marković M, Zarić M, Jakovljević S, Berić D. Body composition characteristics measured by multichannel bioimpedance in young female basketball players: Relation with match performance. Int J Morphology 2020; 38(2):328-335.
- Ćopić N, Dopsaj M, Ivanović J, Nešić G, Jarić S. Body composition and muscle strength predictors of jumping performance: Differences between elite female volleyball competitors and nontrained individuals. J Strength Cond Res 2014; 28(10):2709-2716.
©2022 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.