Archive > Year 2021, Number 3
Differences in metabolic and cardiac response during recovery in wrestlers of different competitive levels
Kukić Filip, Police Sports Education Center, Abu Dhabi Police.
Wrestling combat causes the body to respond by increased heart rate (HR) and accumulation of blood lactates (La) to near maximum or maximum. The evidence to whether higher proficiency wrestlers perform better and recover faster due to more efficient cardio-metabolic system is scarce. This study aimed to investigate the difference in HR and La response during an initial five minutes of recovery after specific wrestling performance test (SWPT). The sample of male competitive wrestlers of different proficiency were allocated into three groups Level 1 (highest), Level 2, and Level 3 (lowest). Wrestlers performed SWPT and number throws (TnThrows) was recorded, while HR and La were collected during recovery. HR was measured at the end of the test and after five minutes into recovery and relative (%) change (∆HR5min) was recorded. La level was collected three (La3min) and five (La5min) minutes into recovery and used for the analyses. Relative La change (∆La3-5min) was calculated as difference between La3min and La5min. Multiple analysis of variance with the Bonferroni post-hoc (p<0.05) calculated the between-group difference. Level 1 wrestlers performed better (p<0.01) in TnThrows than Level 2 and 3. Level 2 performed better (p<0.01) than Level 3. Level 1 wrestlers had larger (p<0.01) ∆HR5min than the Level 2 and Lever 3. In addition, small to moderate difference occurred in La3min and La5min, with Level 1 having lower values. Wrestlers of higher proficiency had advanced specific adaptation of cardio-metabolic system to perform better and recover faster than the wrestlers of lower proficiency.
wrestling performance, sport physiology, sport biology, heart rate, blood lactate
Download full article
- Barbas I, Fatouros IG, Douroudos II, Chatzinikolaou A, Michailidis Y, Draganidis D, et al. Physiological and performance adaptations of elite Greco-Roman wrestlers during a one-day tournament. Eur J Appl Physiol 2011; 111(7):1421–36.
- Brooks GA. Cell–cell and intracellular lactate shuttles. J Physiol 2009; 587(23):5591–600.
- Chino K, Saito Y, Matsumoto S, Ikeda T, Yanagawa Y. Investigation of exercise intensity during a freestyle wrestling match. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2015; 55(4):290-296.
- Cottin F, Durbin F, Papelier Y. Heart rate variability during cycloergometric exercise or judo wrestling eliciting the same heart rate level. Eur J Appl Physiol 2004; 91(2):177-184.
- Cruz RS de O, de Aguiar RA, Turnes T, Penteado Dos Santos R, de Oliveira MFM, Caputo F. Intracellular shuttle: The lactate aerobic metabolism. Sci World J 2012; 2012:420984.
- Dopsaj M, Janković R. Validation of specific skills’ polygon among students in the Academy of criminalistic and police studies: Metabolic and functional indicators for exercise. NBP - J Crim Law 2014; 19(1):185–99.
- Fuku N, Kumagai H, Ahmetov II. Genetics of muscle fiber composition. In: Barh D, Ahmetov II, editors. Sports, Exercise, and Nutritional Genomics [Internet]. Academic Press; 2019 [cited 2020 Apr 22]. p. 295–314. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128161937000142.
- Hart S, Drevets K, Alford M, Salacinski A, Hunt BE. A method-comparison study regarding the validity and reliability of the Lactate Plus analyzer. BMJ Open 2013; 3(2):e001899.
- Houston ME, Sharratt MT, Bruce RW. Glycogen depletion and lactate responses in freestyle wrestling. Can J Appl Sport Sci 1983; 8(2):79-82.
- Hübner-Wozniak E, Kosmol A, Lutoslawska G, Bem E. Anaerobic performance of arms and legs in male and female freestyle wrestlers. J Sci Med Sport 2004; 7(4):473–80.
- Hübner-Woźniak E, Lutosławska G, Kosmol A, Zuziak S. The efect of training experience on arm muscle anaerobic performance in wrestling. Hum Mov 2006; 7(2):147–52.
- Karnincic H, Tocilj Z, Uljevic O, Erceg M. Lactate profile during greco-roman wrestling matchx. J Sports Sci Med 2009; 8(CSSI3):17-19.
- Kraemer WJ, Fry AC, Rubin MR, Triplett-Mcbride T, Gordon SE, Koziris LP, Lynch JM, Volek JS, Meuffels DE, Newton RU, Fleck SJ. Physiological and performance responses to tournament wrestling. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2001; 33(8):1367-1378.
- Kulandaivelan S, Verma SK, Mukhopadhyay S, Vignesh N. Test retest reproducibility of a hand-held lactate analyzer in healthy men. J Exerc Sci Physiotherapy 2009; 5(1):30-33.
- Lewis SF, Taylor WF, Graham RM, Pettinger WA, Schutte JE, Blomqvist CG. Cardiovascular responses to exercise as functions of absolute and relative work load. J Appl Physiol 1983; 54(5):1314–23.
- Markovic M, Dopsaj M, Kasum G, Zaric I, Toskic L. Reliability of the two new specific wrestling tests: performance, metabolic and cardiac indicators. Arch Budo 2017; 13:409-420.
- Marković M, Kasum G, Dopsaj M, Toskić L, Zarić I. Various competitive level wrestlers’ preparedness assessed by the application of the field test. Phys Cult 2018; 72(2):170-180.
- Markovic M, Kukic F, Dopsaj M, Kasum G, Toskic L, Zaric I. Validity of a Novel Specific Wrestling Fitness Test. J Strength Cond Res 2021; 35(Suppl 2):S51-S57.
- Nilsson J, Csergö S, Gullstrand L, Tveit P, Refsnes PE. Work-time profile, blood lactate concentration and rating of perceived exertion in the 1998 Greco-Roman wrestling World Championship. J Sports Sci 2002; 20(11):939-45.
- Qaisar R, Bhaskaran S, Van Remmen H. Muscle fiber type diversification during exercise and regeneration. Free Radic Biol Med 2016; 98:56-67.
- Robergs RA, Ghiasvand F, Parker D. Biochemistry of exercise-induced metabolic acidosis. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physio 2004; 287(3):502–16.
- Rodríguez-Fernández A, Sanchez-Sanchez J, Ramirez-Campillo R, Nakamura FY, Rodríguez-Marroyo JA, Villa-Vicente JG. Relationship between repeated sprint ability, aerobic capacity, intermittent endurance, and heart rate recovery in youth soccer players. J Strength Cond Res 2019; 33(12):3406-3413.
- Sullivan GM, Feinn R. Using effect size - Or why the P value is not enough. J Grad Med Educ 2012; 4(3):279-282.
- Watson AM, Brickson SL, Prawda ER, Sanfilippo JL. Short-Term Heart Rate Recovery is Related to Aerobic Fitness in Elite Intermittent Sport Athletes. J Strength Cond Res 2017; 31(4):1055–1061.
- Williams JR. The declaration of Helsinki and public health. Bull World Health Organ 2008; 86(8):650-652.
- Wright GA, Isaacson MI, Malecek DJ, Steffen JP. Development and assessment of reliability for a sandbag throw conditioning test for wrestlers. J Strength Cond Res 2015; 29(2):451-457.
©2022 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.