Lockie Robert, School of Environmental and Life Sciences, Faculty of Science & IT, University of Newcastle
This study investigated the interaction between dynamic stability, as measured by unilateral functional reach in the Star Excursion Balance Test (SEBT), and lateral jump distance for each leg in 16 male team sport athletes. The SEBT measured reach distances in 8 directions (anterior, anterolateral, lateral, posterolateral, posterior, posteromedial, medial, anteromedial). Pearson’s correlation analysis (p ≤ 0.05) determined relationships between SEBT excursions and left and right leg lateral jump distance. A stepwise multiple regression analysis (p ≤ 0.05) determined excursions that predicted lateral jump performance. Reaches in the lateral, posterolateral, posterior, posteromedial, and medial directions were significantly correlated with greater jump distances for each leg (r = 0.514 - 0.823). Right leg posteromedial and posterior reach (left stance leg) predicted the left leg lateral jump (r = 0.936; r2 = 0.877). Right leg lateral and anterolateral reach (left stance leg) predicted the right leg lateral jump (r = 0.867; r2 = 0.751). Relationships between dynamic stability as measured by the SEBT, and maximal lateral jumping, were established. This is likely due to similarities in joint movements and muscle involvement. The effect of dynamic stability was particularly noticeable for the dominant leg in a lateral jump, which was the left leg in this study.
Star Excursion Balance Test, lateral bound, dynamic balance, team sports, plyometrics
Download full article
- Bloomfield, J., Polman, R., & O'Donoghue, P. (2007). Physical demands of different positions in FA Premier League soccer. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 6 (1), 63-70.
- Boudreau, S. N., Dwyer, M. K., Mattacola, C. G., Lattermann, C., Uhl, T. L., & McKeon, J.M. (2009). Hip-muscle activation during the lunge, single-leg squat, and step-up-and-over exercises. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 18 (1), 91-103.
- Bressel, E., Yonker, J. C., Kras, J., & Heath, E. M. (2007). Comparison of static and dynamic balance in female collegiate soccer, basketball, and gymnastics athletes. Journal of Athletic Training, 42 (1), 42-46.
- Brughelli, M., Cronin, J., Levin, G., & Chaouachi, A. (2008). Understanding change of direction ability in sport. Sports Medicine, 38 (12), 1045-1063.
- Chimera, N. J., Swanik, K. A., Swanik, C. B., & Straub, S. J. (2004). Effects of plyometric training on muscle-activation strategies and performance in female athletes. Journal of Athletic Training, 39 (1), 24-31.
- Domire, Z. J., & Challis, J. H. (2007). The influence of squat depth on maximal vertical jump performance. Journal of Sports Science, 25 (2), 193-200.
- Earl, J. E., & Hertel, J. (2001). Lower-extremity muscle activation during the Star Excursion Balance Tests. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 10 (2), 93-104.
- Garstecki, M. A., Latin, R. W., & Cuppett, M. M. (2004). Comparison of selected physical fitness and performance variables between NCAA Division I and II football players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 18 (2), 292-297.
- Gribble, P. A., & Hertel, J. (2003). Considerations for normalizing measures of the Star Excursion Balance Test. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 7 (2), 89-100.
- Hardy, L., Huxel, K., Brucker, J., & Nesser, T. (2008). Prophylactic ankle braces and star excursion balance measures in healthy volunteers. Journal of Athletic Training, 43 (4), 347-351.
- Hart, J. M., Garrison, J. C., Kerrigan, D. C., Palmieri-Smith, R., & Ingersoll, C. D. (2007). Gender differences in gluteus medius muscle activity exist in soccer players performing a forward jump. Research in Sports Medicine, 15 (2), 147-155.
- Hertel, J., Miller, S. J. & Denegar, C. R. (2000). Intratester and intertester during the Star Excursion Balance Tests. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 9 (2), 104-116.
- Hertel, J., Braham, R. A., Hale, S. A., & Olmsted-Kramer, L. C. (2006). Simplifying the Star Excursion Balance Test: analyses of subjects with and without chronic ankle instability. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 36 (3), 131-137.
- Hopkins, W. G. (2002). A scale of magnitude for effect statistics. [cited May 1 2012]; Available from: www.sportsci.org/resource/stats/index.html.
- Imura, A., Iino, Y., & Kojima, T. (2008). Biomechanics of the continuity and speed change during one revolution of the Fouette turn. Human Movement Science, 27 (6), 903-913.
- Lockie, R. G., Murphy, A. J., Knight, T. J., & Janse de Jonge, X. A. K. (2011). Factors that differentiate acceleration ability in field sport athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 25 (10), 2704-2714.
- Lockie, R. G., Murphy, A. J., Schultz, A. B., Knight, T. J., & Janse de Jonge, X. A. K. (2012). The effects of different speed training protocols on sprint acceleration kinematics and muscle strength and power in field sport athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26 (6), 1539-1500.
- Meylan, C., McMaster, T., Cronin, J., Mohammad, N. I., Rogers, C., & Deklerk, M. (2009). Single-leg lateral, horizontal, and vertical jump assessment: reliability, interrelationships, and ability to predict sprint and change-of-direction performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 23 (4), 1140-1147.
- Meylan, C. M., Nosaka, K., Green, J. P., & Cronin, J. B. (2010). Variability and influence of eccentric kinematics on unilateral vertical, horizontal, and lateral countermovement jump performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24 (3), 840-845.
- Myer, G. D., Ford, K. R., Brent, J. L., & Hewett, T. E. (2006). The effects of plyometric vs. dynamic stabilization and balance training on power, balance, and landing force in female athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 20 (2), 345-353.
- Olmsted, L. C., Carcia, C. R., Hertel, J., & Shultz, S. J. (2002). Efficacy of the Star Excursion Balance Tests in detecting reach deficits in subjects with chronic ankle instability. Journal of Athletic Training, 37 (4), 501-506.
- Paris, D. L. (1992). The effects of the Swede-O, New Cross, and McDavid ankle braces and adhesive ankle taping on speed, balance, agility, and vertical jump. Journal of Athletic Training, 27 (3), 253-256.
- Robinson, R., & Gribble, P. (2008). Kinematic predictors of performance on the Star Excursion Balance Test. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 17 (4), 347-357.
- Ross, S., Guskiewicz, K., Prentice, W., Schneider, R., & Yu, B. (2004). Comparison of biomechanical factors between the kicking and stance limbs. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 13 (2), 135-150.
- Scanlan, A., Dascombe, B., & Reaburn, P. (2011). A comparison of the activity demands of elite and sub-elite Australian men's basketball competition. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29 (11), 1153-1160.
- Sheppard, J. M., & Young, W. B. (2006). Agility literature review: classifications, training and testing. Journal of Sports Sciences, 24 (9), 919-932.
- Sierer, S. P., Battaglini, C. L., Mihalik, J. P., Shields, E. W., & Tomasini, N. T. (2008). The National Football League Combine: performance differences between drafted and nondrafted players entering the 2004 and 2005 drafts. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 22 (1), 6-12.
- Twist, P. W., & Benicky, D. (1996). Conditioning lateral movement for multi-sport athletes: practical strength and quickness drills. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 18 (5), 10-19.
- Wikstrom, E. A., Tillman, M. D., Smith, A. N., & Borsa, P. A. (2005). A new force-plate technology measure of dynamic postural stability: the dynamic postural stability index. Journal of Athletic Training, 40 (4), 305-309.
- Young, W., & Farrow, D. (2006). A review of agility: practical applications for strength and conditioning. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 28 (5), 24-29.
©2022 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.