Archive > Year 2020, Number 3
Relationship between isokinetic dynamometry and tensiomyogrphy in individuals with different muscle power manifestation
The aim of this study was to investigate the correlations between isokinetic dynamometry and tensiomyography (TMG) in individuals with different levels of muscle power manifestation. The sample consisted of 85 male participants divided in three groups according to their levels of muscle power manifestation: low (LMP), average (AMP), and high (HMP). Isokinetic dynamometry was used to measure average muscle power of knee joint extensor and flexor muscles of the knee joint of the dominant leg at angular velocities of 60 º/s and 180 º/s, while tensiomyography measured maximal displacement (Dm) and contraction time (Tc) of the main knee joint extensor and flexor muscles: rectus femoris and biceps femoris. Correlation analysis revealed some significant correlations between the parameters obtained by isokinetic dynamometry and tensiomyography, the highest being in the LMP group (r = -0.461, p = 0.021, on average), and the lowest in the HMP group (r = -0.564, p = 0.045). These findings indicate that the correlation between the results obtained by these two methods weakens with the increase in muscle power manifestation, and that this increase depends to an extent on muscle contraction velocity and muscle stiffness, while high muscle power manifestation is influenced by other factors.
isokinetic dynamometry, tensiomyography, muscle power, maximal displacement, contraction time
Download full article
- Abernethy P, Wilson G, Logan P. Strength and power assessment. Sports Med 1995; 19(6):401-417.
- Baltzopoulos V, Brodie D.A. Isokinetic dynamometry. Sports Med 1989; 8(2):101-116.
- Dahmane R, Djordjević S, Šimunič B, Valenčič V. Spatial fiber type distribution in normal human muscle: histochemical and tensiomyographical evaluation. J Biomechanics 2005; 38(12):2451-2459.
- Dahmane R, Valenčič V, Knez N, Eržen I. Evaluation of the ability to make non-invasive estimation of muscle contractile properties on the basis of the muscle belly response. Med Biol Eng Comput 2001; 39(1): 51-55.
- Hair J, Anderson R, Tatham R, Black W. Multivariate data analysis. 5th ed. New Jersey, USA: Prentice-Hall. Inc., 1998.
- Hribernik M, Umek A, Kos A. Survey of recent development in real-time biofeedback systems in sport. Serb J Sports Sci 2020; 11(1):19-28.
- Jeknić V, Toskić L, Koropanovski N. Descriptive model of mechanical characteristics of leg muscles in elite karate athletes measured by the TMG method. Serb J Sports Sci 2020; 11(2):55-60.
- Kannus P. Isokinetic evaluation of muscular performance. Int J Sports Med 1994; 15(1):11-18.
- Koprivica V. Tendencies in modern sport. Phys Educ Sport Through Centuries 2018; 5(1):32-48
- Macgregor L.J, Hunter A.M, Orizio C, Fairweather M.M, Ditroilo M. Assessment of skeletal muscle contractile properties by radial displacement: the case for tensiomyography. Sports Med 2018; 48(7):1607-1620.
- Martín-Rodríguez S, Loturco I, Hunter A.M, Rodríguez-Ruiz D, Munguia-Izquierdo D. Reliability and measurement error of tensiomyography to assess mechanical muscle function: A systematic review. J Strength Cond Res 2017; 31(12):3524-3536.
- Perrin D.H. Reliability of isokinetic measures. J Athl Train 1986; 21(4):319-321.
- Pincivero D.M, Lephart S.M, Karunakara R.A. Reliability and precision of isokinetic strength and muscular endurance for the quadriceps and hamstrings. Int J Sports Med 1997; 18(2):113-117.
- Rey E, Lago-Peñas C, Lago-Ballesteros J. Tensiomyography of selected lower-limb muscles in professional soccer players. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2012; 22(6):866-872.
- Šimunič B. Between-day reliability of a method for non-invasive estimation of muscle composition. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2012; 22(4):527-530.
- Toskić L, Dopsaj M, Marković M, Toskić D, Ignjatović A. Mechanical and contractile properties of knee joint muscles measured by the method of tensiomyography in differently trained men and women. 2020a; J Strength Cond Res doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000003662.
- Toskić L, Dopsaj M, Toskić D, Marković M. Isokinetic muscle power of the knee extensor and flexor muscles among differently trained people in relation to gender. Hum Mov 2020b; 21(3):81-89.
- Toskić L, Dopsaj M, Stanković V, Marković M. Concurrent and predictive validity of isokinetic dynamometry and tensiomyography in differently trained women and men. Isokinet Exerc Sci 2019; 27(1):31-39.
- Toskić L, Dopsaj M, Marković M, Stanković V. Relations between muscle power and contraction time of the knee muscles in differently trained people. In: Abstract book of 25th Anniversary International Congress on Physical Education & Sport Science (pp. 147). Komotini, Greece: School of Physical Education & Sport Science, Democritus University of Thrace, 2017a.
- Toskić L, Dopsaj M, Stanković V, Marković M, Đurić, S, Živković M, Marović I. Correlation between contraction time and muscle torque of the knee flexor and extensor muscles. In: V. Stanković, & T. Stojanović (Eds.) Book of Proceedings of the fourth international scientific conference - Anthropological and theo-anthropological views on physical activity from the time of Constantine the Great to modern times (pp. 115-121). Kopaonik, Serbia: Faculty of sport and physical education, University of Priština - Kosovska Mitrovica, 2017b.
- Toskić L, Dopsaj M, Koropanovski N, Jeknić V. Relations between neuromuscular contractile properties of leg muscles measured with isokinetic and tmg methods: Pilot study. In: Pantelić, S. (Ed.). Book of proceedings of XVIII International scientific conference FIS communication in physical education, sport and recreation (pp. 35-45). Niš, Serbia: Faculty of sport and physical education, University of Niš, 2015.
- Tous-Fajardo, J., Moras, G., Rodríguez-Jiménez, S., Usach, R., Doutres, D. M., & Maffiuletti, N. A. (2010). Inter-rater reliability of muscle contractile property measurements using non-invasive tensiomyography. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2010; 20(4):761-766.
©2022 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.