The aim of our study was to investigate the relationship between body mass index and the degree of arch of the foot, as well as the relationship between the degree of arch of the foot of left and right foot. This study included 215 subjects aged 7 to 11 years. The assessment of the status of the feet was performed using the device "Foot Disc" for determining the status of the feet, and the analysis was done according to Thomson's method. The interrelationship between body mass index and degree of arch of the foot of both feet, as well as degree of arch of the foot of the left and right foot, was determined using the Spearman correlation coefficient. Differences were determined using a t-test for dependent samples. In children aged 8-11 years, the results showed an increased percentage of degree of arch of the foot. Based on Spearman's correlation coefficient, we found that in children aged 7-10 years, there was no statistically significant association between body mass index and degree of arch of the foot of both feet. Also, we found that there is a high correlation of degree of arch of the foot between the left and right foot in different age categories (from r = 0.596 to r = 0.859, p = 0.000).
foot disc, body mass index, degree of arch of the foot, deformity
Download full article
- Bogdanović Z, Marković Ž. Prisustvo deformiteta stopala u zavisnosti od pripadnosti polu. Glasnik ADS, 2010; 45(1):397-402. (In Serbian).
- Donatelli R, Wolf S. The Biomechanics of the Foot and Ankle. Philadelphia, Pa, FA Davis Co., 1990.
- Dowling A, Steele J, Baur L. Does obesity influence foot structure and plantar pressure patterns in prepubescent children? 2001; Int J Obesity, 25(6):845-852.
- Đokić Z, Stojanović M. Morfološke karakteristike i posturalni status dece od 9 do 12 godina na području Sremske Mitrovice. Opšta Medicina, 2010; 16(1-2):41-49. (In Serbian).
- Đorđić V. Relacije antropoloških karakteristika i sposobnosti predškolske dece. Fakultet sporta i fizičkog vaspitanja Univerzitet u Novom Sadu, Novi Sad, 2007.
- Đorđić V, Popović, B. Motorički status predškolske dece sa normalnim i spuštenim svodom stopala. Fakultet sporta i fizičkog vaspitanja Univerzitet u Novom Sadu, Novi Sad, 2009.
- Forriol F, Pascual J. Footprint analysis between three and seventeen years of age. Foot & Ankle, 1990; 11(2):101-104.
- Ilić D. Korektivna gimnastika. Beograd: SIA, 2012.
- Jovović V, Adamović S. Korektivna gimnastika. FSFV UCG, 2004.
- Mickle KJ, Steele JR, Munro BJ. Does excess mass affect plantar pressure in young children? 2006; Int J Ped Obesity, 1(3):183-188.
- Mihajlović I, Tončev I, Hmjelovec I. Prevalence of flatfoot deformity in boys depending on their age. Acta Kinesiol, 2008; 2(2):103-106.
- Obradović B, Milošević Z. Posture of preschool boys and girls at the age of 6. Glasnik ADS, 2008; 43:310-318. (In Serbian).
- Organization WH. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser, 2000; 894:i-xii, 1-253.
- Petronijevic S, Copic N, Ugrinić B.Uticaj sazrevanja na gojaznost kod dece. Sport i biznis, 2020; 6:69-75. (In Serbian).
- Puzović V, Đorđević D, Karaleić S, Obrenović M, Medić V, Jakovljević V. Prevalenca ravnog stopala kod dece od 7-11 godina. PONS Med J (Ćuprija), 2010; 7(3):98-102. (In Serbian).
- Radisavljević M, Stefanović MS. Korektivna gimnastika sa osnovama kineziterapije. Fakultet Fizičke Kulture Univerzitet u Beogradu, Beograd, 1992.
- Rao UB, Joseph B. The influence of footwear on the prevalence of flat foot. A survey of 2300 children. J Bone Joint Surg Br, 1992; 74(4):525-527.
- Riddiford-Harland D, Steele J, Storlien L. Does obesity influence foot structure in prepubescent children? Int J Obesity, 2000; 24(5):541-544.
- Rose RC. Flat feet in Children: When should they be treated. Int J Orthop Surg, 2007; 6(1), 11-18.
- Trajković S, Nikolić M. The canonical relations between anthropometric measurements and postural disorders of schoolchildren. Glasnik ADS, 2008; 43:379-385. (In Serbian).
- Volpon JB. Footprint analysis during the growth period. J Pediatr Orthop, 1994; 14(1):83-85.
- Vukašinović Z, Živković Z, Vučetić Č. Ravna stopala kod dece. Srp Arh Celok Lek, 2009; 137(5-6):320-322. (In Serbian).
©2022 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.